Attendees: Bob Jacobson (CERT), Chalice Dew-Johnson (DEM), Kent Caitlin (DEM), Noriko Lao (ARC/Garden Street Church), Charles Law (Roosevelt Neighborhood Assoc.), Melissa Logan (ARC), Patrick Hurley (ARC/Downtown Bellingham Partnership), Natalie Chavez, Cheryl Brown (Adventist Community Services), Lawana Chapman, Hollie Moe (WVC), Brian Thmpson (COAD), Geri Chumley (COAD), Don Chumley (COAD), Angela Murray (WVC)
- Kent and Chalice shared a draft after action report for June’s tabletop exercise. After feedback, they will share final version.
- Group then looked at the slides and questions that were not covered during exercise.
- Helping Businesses Reopen:
- There are limited resources within COAD to help businesses reopen
- We need to continue business outreach at business events
- We should work with Chambers of Commerce in small cities to become COAD members
- Some organizations like Chambers and the Downtown Bellingham Partnership can serve as information channels for things like SBA loan availability
- Patrick will register the Downtown Bellingham Partnership with COAD
- How to Exercise in the Future:
- We need to look for ways to include COAD Unit Leaders/volunteers/volunteer organizations in exercises that are already planned and low impact events; stand alone exercises may not be necessary regularly
- We need to encourage COAD members and COAD unit leaders to complete FEMA ICS training (100, 200, 700) so they understand EOC work environment
- We need to include long term exercising for COAD members (events that may extend for weeks)
- Future exercises should simulate EOCs, with Unit Leaders working in EOCs and COAD agencies working outside EOCs, as would be the case in reality
- Ferndale needs more COAD members. We should look for similar organizations from other smaller cities. Possibilities include: Management Services Northwest, Family Medical Center, Interfaith Coalition, Sauder Manufacturing.
- Locations for WVC registration sites need to be explored. Possibilities include: Sportsplex, Lynden Fairgrounds, Ferndale Events Center.
- Bob needs to coordinate with WVC regarding CERT people registering volunteers in “hinterlands”.
- We need to ensure that WVC uses expedient volunteer registration forms and that, after 72 hours, volunteers go through the Whatcom County background check process.
Next Meeting: AUGUST MEETING IS CANCELLED. Next meeting on September 16th, 3:00-5:00 PM