Tuesday, August 5, 2014
(Bellingham, WA) The Bellingham International Airport is conducting an airport disaster training exercise. The Volunteer Center of Whatcom County is looking for volunteers to help at this one day only training exercise. To find out more information on how you can volunteer for this training exercise, click here.
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
You are invited to attend the
Whatcom Unified Emergency Coordination Center
3888 Sound Way, Bellingham, WA
Friday, July 18, 2014
10:15 Welcome and Remarks
~Whatcom County Executive Jack Louws
~Bellingham Mayor Kelli Linville
~Whatcom County Sheriff Bill Elfo
~Bellingham Fire Chief, Bill Newbold
~Port of Bellingham Real Estate Director, Shirley McFearin
10:50 Ribbon Cutting
11:00 Refreshments / Self-Guided Tours
**Parking is provided by the Port of Bellingham.
**Please park in the lot west of the Center. Signage and attendants will be on hand.
Whatcom Unified Emergency Coordination Center is a partnership with Whatcom County, the City of Bellingham, and the Port of Bellingham. This unique center stands ready to provide the base for multiagency coordination in preparing for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies and disasters affecting Whatcom County.
Thursday, May 15, 2014
WHATCOM COAD MEETING
April 15, 2014
Attendees: Hollie Moe (Volunteer Center/RSVP), Mallory Graving (Saturna Capital), John Lieberherr (Whatcom County Search & Rescue Council), Chalice Dew-Johnson (WCSO-DEM/WUEM)
COAD Speaker Series Presenter - Hollie Moe, Retired and Senior Volunteer Program Director, with the Volunteer Center of Whatcom County. Hollie gave an excellent presentation on who the Volunteer Center of Whatcom County is, what types of services and programs they provide, and how they engage and provide support in times of disasters.New Business:
· Mallory Graving is still waiting to receive confirmations from a couple Speaker Series presenters for this next round of presentations. Once she has those confirmations, she plans to complete the Speaker Series flyer for the months of May, June, July and September. COAD is not holding a meeting in August, therefore there is no speaker scheduled for that month.
· Chalice Dew-Johnson plans to add links to the COAD blog for the Speaker Series presentations from January, February, March and April. She still needs to collect 2 of the 4 presentations and get some technical support to make this happen.
Next Meeting: May 20th 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Tuesday, April 8, 2014
WHATCOM COAD MEETING
March 18, 2014
Attendees: Mavis Dalzell (Red Cross), Chalice Dew-Johnson (WCSO-DEM/WUEM), Kristina Glasgow (Northwest Regional Council), Hollie Moe (Volunteer Center/RSVP), Noriko Lao (Red Cross, Garden Street United Methodist Church), Wallace Kost (WSCO-DEM), Mallory Graving (Saturna Capital), Sherin Vanderyacht (Pacific Surveying and Engineering), Tom Schultz( CSS Communication), Mario Bonilla (LDS), George Edward (WECU), Nicole Enslow (CHS), Patrick Hurley (Downtown Bellingham Partnership), Bertella Hansen (Ferndale Downtown), Russ Westin (Grange).
COAD Speaker Series Presenter Mallory Graving from Saturna Capital gave an excellent presentation on Preparedness for Small Businesses. A summary of her presentation will be posted on the COAD blog.
· The Retired & Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) made calls to the COAD member organizations for two reasons: 1) to invite COAD members to be a speaker for the next round of the COAD speaker series presentations and 2) to offer an opportunity for COAD member organizations to host an individual and family preparedness session. Hollie Moe reported that RSVP was not able to schedule any individual and family preparedness sessions, however there was success in scheduling speakers for the speaker series presentations at our COAD meetings. So far, we have The Bellingham Ambulatory Service for May, the Latter-Day Saints (LDS) for June, WESNIP for July and Washington State Animal Response Team for September. If no one else contacts us about Oct and Nov, the Red Cross and Whatcom Unified Emergency Management (WUEM) will take those months.
· The LDS is planning a Preparedness Workshop in September. LDS invited all COAD members to participate in the workshop and would like COAD members to have preparedness booths if they are interested. Both the Red Cross and WUEM plan to participate. It was suggested that we reach out to our COAD member Animal Groups and invite them to participate.
Next Meeting: April 15th 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Friday, March 7, 2014
WHATCOM COAD MEETING
February 18, 2014
Attendees: Mavis Dalzell (Red Cross), Chalice Dew-Johnson (WCSO/WUEM), Kristina Glasgow (Northwest Regional Council), Hollie Moe (Whatcom Volunteer Center), Noriko Lo (Red Cross, Garden Street United Methodist Church), Wayne Chaudiere (Whatcom Conservation District), Don Chumley (COAD), Wallace Kost (WSCO), Mallory Graving (Saturna Capital), Brian Lawler (ACS)
Brian Lawler from the Whatcom County Auxiliary Community Service gave an excellent presentation. A summary of his notes will be posted on the COAD blog.New Business:
Holly suggested that she have volunteers call our COAD members to see if they want to do a presentation for our Speaker Series and also to see if they are interested in a Preparedness Workshop. We agreed that this was a good idea. She will coordinate with Chalice on the wording to give her volunteers for their calls.
There was a discussion on how to increase the attendance at our Speaker Series. Since our next speaker is Saturna Capital, Mavis is going to call Patrick Hurley and see if he will spread the word to the Bellingham business community and Chalice is going to contact the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce.
Next Meeting: March 18th 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Monday, November 4, 2013
WHATCOM COAD MEETING
Oct 15, 2013
Attendees: Mavis Dalzell (Red Cross), Chalice Dew-Johnson (WCSO/WUEM), Chuck Keiper (ACS, ARES), Kristina Glasgow (Northwest Regional Council), Hollie Moe (Whatcom Volunteer Center), Maggie Albert (CERT, Medical Reserve Corps), Bob Jacobson (CERT), Natalie Chavez (Community Representative), Noriko Lo (Red Cross, Garden Street United Methodist Church), Charles Law (Roosevelt Neighborhood Assoc.),
Plans for 2014
· Discussions continued for the 2014 COAD plans:
- Chalice brought copies of the letter she drafted to send out to COAD members. Suggestions were made for changes and Chalice is going to create another draft for the approval of the group at our next meeting.
- Hollie agreed to be the contact for COAD members who want to schedule Preparedness Presentations for their group.
- Both the Red Cross and CERT are willing to do the Preparedness Presentations. Groups could also have CERT trainings if they want.
- We discussed the flyer that Mallory created about our Speaker Series. Mavis is going to discuss with her the changes that were put forth. Mavis will ask Mallory if she is willing to be the contact person for COAD members wanting to do a presentation.
· The suggestion was made that we might consider sponsoring a guest speaker. We decided to wait and see how much response we get from our other plans before we decide.
· We will not have a meeting in December 2013. Mavis will book the room at the HEC for the 2014 calendar year.
Next Meeting: November 19th 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
WHATCOM COAD MEETING
September 17, 2013
Attendees: Mavis Dalzell (Red Cross), Chalice Dew-Johnson (WCSO/WUEM), Brian Lawler (ARES), Wayne Chaudiere (Whatcom Conservation District), Lawana Chapman (FCSC, Senior Center, United Church of Ferndale), Kristina Glasgow (Northwest Regional Council), Hollie Moe (Whatcom Volunteer Center), Mallory Gravine (Saturna Capital), Maggie Albert (CERT, Medical Reserve Corps)
Plans for 2014
Possible projects for 2014:
- Invite a COAD member each month to talk about their group, what they do, what help they could provide during a disaster, do they have preparedness plans for their group.
- Contact all COAD members and encourage them to recruit new groups to join COAD. We would give the COAD members talking points and direction.
- Have a disaster preparedness education meeting twice/year – possibly using CERT and/or Red Cross to make the presentations.
- Try a disaster preparedness outreach program to COAD members again using CERT and/or Red Cross. Whatcom Volunteer Center (RSVP) might be able to help coordinate the scheduling. We need further discussions on this to talk to all of the parties involved.
- Mallory is going to design a flyer to cover the first 3 topics and send it to Mavis and Chalice for input. Chalice will design the letter to be sent with the flyer attached. Both the letter and flyer will be discussed at the next meeting.
- We will try to plan 3-6 months in advance so COAD members will know what is happening at future meetings.
- Continue to have a COAD presence at Business Seminars/Conventions to provide information on Business and Individual preparedness.
- Wayne talked about the involvement of the Water Conservation District in Firewise, a national program in which people take precautions to reduce their exposure to wildfires. He is available to conduct presentations for communities at risk.
- Lawana presented a list of all of the Churches in Ferndale with contact information available. She sent a copy to Geri Chumley. It might be a good idea to include the list in the binder with our COAD Resources.
- Chalice mentioned that WUEM is hosting training on Oct 16th to train managers for the Community Points of Distribution (CPOD). Course registration deadline is Oct 10th. For more details contact Chalice at 360-676-6681.